Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Ignorance is bliss??

I apologize for not updating sooner...I've been out of town for family reasons. To catch up, I went to the doctor late Wednesday afternoon and found out that my thyroid is screwy. I'm relieved to say the least, but it's still not resolved. You see, right now I have hyperthyroidism which means my thyroid is in overdrive. It gives me lovely side effects such as nonstop shaking, dizziness, fatigue, stomach issues, anxiety, and all kinds of other lovely things.

The normal course of treatment for this is to take medication to help suppress the hormones the thyroid puts out there. My doctor has not prescribed anything for me yet as she ordered more tests. One is a blood test to see if it's a virus that's causing my thyroid issues and the other is a nuclear thyroid scan. Sounds fun, right? Well, I got the blood test done today, so one down...but the scan is another story. I have to wait for my &*@# insurance company to authorize the test, and who knows how long that will take. Such a pain!

So, me being who I am came home from my appointment last week and immediately looked up what my thyroid is doing and the possible causes. I'm hoping it's just genetics (as every woman on my mom's side has a thyroid issue) and not some of the others. The scan is going to check for nodules which should be nothing if I have them, but there's always that chance that it's something more. So now I'm left wondering...was I better off before I knew what was going on? Was it better to worry about the way I was feeling or now worry as to the cause?? I guess time will tell...

0 comments: